Thursday, May 14, 2009

Misadventures of Miss Bekah

Our family had a road trip last week and we made a stop in St. George to visit my mom's new part time abode. Bekah spotted a darling boutique and informed us that she would be just delighted if she owned that store. After arriving at my mom's Tim showed her the lay of the land which included a water feature in the roundabout. She longingly stared at the top of the water wheel and expressed her desire to climb up there. Bekah is so passionate and intense. When we arrived at our hotel she discovered a red and gold jewelry box that she just had to have. I asked her to wait until the day before we left before buying her souvenir in case she changed her mind. Daily she reminded us about that box and the finally when she was able to purchase it she told us it was the best day of her life and she was going to polish the box often. She named it Ruby and pretty much was the happiest girl ever.

Since we have been home I have had crazy insomnia and slept in this morning trying to catch up. I woke up to the flash of the camera and discovered Ruth and Bekah in my room with the camera. I started looking through the pictures and found one that looked like a bum crack. Shocked I asked them what it was-horrified at the possibilities. Apparently, Bekah is skilled at putting her forearms together to make a fake bum for Ruthie to photograph. There was a picture of webkinz on the computer and the keyboard. There was several pictures of the Ruth and Bekah kissing the stair railing (their frequent dance partner). If they had a myspace I am sure they would be trying to post these pictures. I was at a loss for words when trying to think of a way to address this wacky photo shoot.

I tried to move on to homework and pulled out Bekah's folder which included a compilation of kindergarten artists interpretation of their favorite activity to do with mom. Bekah's drawing of me included a rather large pear shaped body with rectangle stumps for limbs. She spent so much time drawing me to look huge that she didn't have time to draw her own picture so she is just a floating head next to a ginormous pregnant lady. The next page a kid drew a stick figure for their mom. We got distracted when the doorbell rang and a giant package was delivered. Bekah instantly determined it was a package for her birthday...probably a flat screen tv. High hopes.

This is just a good follow up to her asking me last week how old you had to be to kiss boys. When I told her 16 she freaked out and said oh my goodness that is so far away...she really thought 13 was more appropriate.

Does anybody have some type of manual on how to handle these situations? Raising these little women is a lot more daunting than I had ever imagined!

No comments: