Monday, January 18, 2010

Cooking with Rachel

Growing up my mom did a great job of preparing food for us. She cooked almost every meal and it was always very well balanced and nutritious. Now that I am a mom I realize what a feat that is! It is especially maddening when you slave in the kitchen and your kids turn up their noses at your dinner table. All that work to get it there and then you can't even enjoy eating it because you spend the entire time negotiating how much and what they are going to eat. I was an especially horrid child and went through a phase when I wouldn't eat meat and I loved teasing my mom about her new recipes she tried out like a dish named porcupine.

Even still, as a young girl, I was very enchanted with my mom frying up flattened little balls of dough to make scones. I was mesmerized by the bubbling oil in the pan and impressed that my mom could create such delectable goodness. Rachel and I found a recipe online yesterday and had a lot of fun frying up scones for the family yesterday afternoon. It was a huge hit and they are so filling we didn't even make it through a quarter of the dough in the recipe. Our favorite toppings were cinnamon and 3 sugars, homemade raspberry jam, and honey butter.

Here is the recipe if you are so inclined to try it:

Ingredients
5 cups warm water
1 tablespoon yeast
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
12 cups flour

Directions

1 Combine the first 3 ingredients.
2 Let sit 5 minutes.
3 Add remaining ingredients all except 2 c flour, put this in a little at a time till dough is no longer sticky (may not need all), and mix well.
4 Let dough rise 1 hour.
5 Break of dough about the size of egg and spread out evenly and about 1/4th inch thickness.
6 Deep fry till golden brown.
7 Top as desired.

No comments: